African Prints



 photo DSCN9289_zps8c2f2ce1.jpg
Today's post is dedicated to african prints.
They have been everywhere this season. Its has gained popularity in the global fashion scene since early 2010.
You have also spotted them in so many collection this season.
What is Ankara ? you would ask


Ankara are vibrant patterns of very rich colorful designs. It is mostly made of 100% cotton or cotton poly material.  Originally the wax resist dyed fabrics were exported to the Gold Coast and spread over West Africa into Central Africa and were largely produced in Nigeria.  They became extremely popular over time and were initially worn as everyday casual outfits customized to suit the designs of the person wearing it. 
Africans are very creative and use these bold, festive fabrics to tell stories, poems and traditional African tales. Depending on the pattern of the design a specific name is given for example you will often hear people refer to the different design names like star, concord, shell, etc.The cotton fabric used for Ankara is cool and durable and can be worn in various styles. African waxes are commonly worn in parties, weddings and other similar African occasions as aso-ebi. This is a Yoruba phrase for family cloth. The custom in Nigeria was for people from the same family to wear the same cloth to show you belong to a certain family. Now it can be worn as a uniform for the same group of friends in a party or more commonly in African "
My dress is designed and tailored by my Aunt from Ankara fabrics.
The turban head tie is a scarf also from an African fabric with the name Adire, which translate Tie dye from Yoruba language. Adire is a indigo dyed cloth made by Yoruba women in the south western part of Nigeria.
My tribe as you can see have a very rich and creative culture. Most of us young people of my generation, snob all these because we are too westernised.
When I was in Nigeria, my school fine art teacher gave my class a project I won't forget.
We actually make our own Adire fabrics. It was one of those little experience I cherished from my boarding house days in Nigeria.

Element of this look:
Dress: Ankara custom made.
Turban: Adire scarf
Sunnies: Romwe
Necklace: Efoxcity
Wedges: Sugarfree 
Bag: Vintage

 photo Adiretiedye_zpse426ed08.jpg

 photo Ankara_zps1f972230.jpg

 photo Shinebrightlikeadiamond_zps7ed1d06a.png

 photo DSCN9332_zps235d773d.jpg

 photo DSCN9326_zps39234e2b.jpg

 photo DSCN9330_zpsc07dfe27.png
Praying for mama Africa to never run dry of its natural resources and for the youth of that continent to always remember to honour their culture.
I know this post is getting out of the "normal" outfit post and going more on a historical class, forgive me and bear with me.
I want to take this opportunity to introduce you to a Nigerian Label that uses ankara to create custom-made accessories for women.
Take a glimpse into their creative work and I promise you a proper post to introduce them.

 photo CoverPhotoFirstPhoto_zps8e8159f2.jpg

 photo hesey-designs-african-inspired-bags-1024x378_zpse808be14.jpg
They are called Hesey Designs.
More on them later.
For now, Happy New month of July and happy Monday!!
Have a wonderful and productive week my dolls.
Bisous.

24 comments:

  1. I am so thrilled to see you featured something traditionally African in this post, what an amazing and unique print, I see the ladies wearing something similar here as well, You look wonderful sweety!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so interesting, the prints are beautiful! Your dress is gorgeous and you look so pretty! :)

    Francesca

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look stunning dear. Of course. I love these African prints, I am part Ghanaian so this is such a treat to see you in these beautiful prints. Have a lovely week dear. xx/Madison

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful dress! The fabric print is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look fabulous Adeola!!! I love your ankara style so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Adeola! African prints are so on trend and love them! You totally rock in that dress, congrats to your aunt since is amazing! My dream is to visit Africa you know:) Looking forward to see more about Nigerian laber, seems awesome! Kisses dear, happy July to you too! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elegant and lovely!!! Love this print ! Perfect maxi!

    ❤ StylishByNature.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. The tree painting goes so well with your African print dress. Love the necklace too!

    Oh to Be a Muse
    Shop Layered Muse

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your wonderful words over at mine, hope your week kindly surprises you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. African prints are so stunning, and how good they look on you! You're like an African goddess, my dear :) ♥ xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the prints! So charming! You should wear them more often! They look great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look great!
    Have a fantastic month!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look amazing in these :) I love your style ;)

    xoxo Gozika
    http://gozikasjournal.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cool and shinny diva. This is what you are. I love this so much!
    Miss Margaret Cruzemark
    http://margaretcruzemark.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Το μοτίβο του φορεματος σου ειναι εντυπωσιακότατο!
    ΦΙλια πολλά κορίτσι :)

    http://beautyfollower.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous and unique prints and I love those clutches!! Thank you so much for linking up!
    walkinginmemphisinhighheels.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a fun and different print! Love this look. Thanks for linking up to the Trend Spin this week, make sure to come back for bows next week!

    xoxo
    Erin
    The Fashion Canvas

    ReplyDelete
  18. Greate article. Keep posting such kind of information on your site.
    Im really impressed by it.
    Hi there, You have done an excellent job. I'll definitely digg it and for my part recommend to my friends. I'm confident they'll be benefited from this site.

    Feel free to visit my web site ... leather bag

    ReplyDelete

Have your say, I do appreciate it and will respond to all in due time.

Popular Posts